
ACTIVISTS renewed calls today for an end to the 64-year-old US blockade of Cuba after the government said that the restricitions were hampering efforts to fix a massive power cut.
About half of the socialist island was plunged into darkness on Thursday evening, followed by all of it the following morning, after a power plant failed.
Havana’s electricity company said in a statement on Saturday that part of its western system had been disconnected “after the exit of one of the plants that was delivering service.”

Money makers already exploit cleaning and catering contracts while the military-industrial complex diverts billions from health to warfare — but Bevan’s vision will endure as long as people fight for it, writes ROGER MCKENZIE

ROGER McKENZIE looks at the gradual demise of US’s nefarious influence around the world and the complexity of impending freedom