US PRESIDENT Donald Trump accused Canada on Saturday of wanting the “benefits of being a US state without being one” after trade talks collapsed.
The failure of negotiations triggered 50 per cent US tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, which the Canadian Prime Minister described as a “miscalculation” designed to “hurt and divide us.”
They are in addition to existing tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminium, cars and lumber.
Mr Carney confirmed he would match US tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” from September 8, including levies on steel, dairy, appliances and electronics.
“They asked too much and they offered too little,” Mr Carney said on Saturday. “You’re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked,” he added.
President Trump’s latest comments echo his repeated references to making Canada the “51st state” of the US since returning to office, sparking frustration among its leaders and residents.
The collapse of talks has crashed a deeply integrated trading relationship, after both sides appeared optimistic earlier last week that a deal could be struck.
US negotiators accused Canada of making “new demands and walk backs” on terms which had been previously agreed.
On Saturday, US trade representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News there were no plans to resume talks.
But Mr Carney said the US had presented “unacceptable” terms that were too restrictive, including curbing Canada’s ability to strike new trade deals with other countries.
He also rejected the accusation that Canada had made last-minute requests: “We clarified what was on offer and were continually disappointed by the answers.”
Leaders of other federal parties in Canada, including the Conservative opposition, voiced support for the prime minister, as have the leaders of some Canadian provinces.
Doug Ford, the leader of Canada’s most populous province Ontario, backed Mr Carney and said President Trump “can’t be trusted.”
As Ontario burns, campaigners are demanding action – not more pipelines, says DAVE McKEE



