Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
PM: Thatcher didn’t aid India massacre
Cameron dismisses suggestions that government colluded in India's 1984 Amritsar massacre

DAVID CAMERON attempted yesterday to play down suggestions that the Thatcher government colluded in a massacre by Indian security forces of over 400 people in 1984.

Previously secret documents published under the 30-year rule indicate that an SAS officer was sent to assist Indian authorities in drawing up plans to remove dissident Sikhs from the Golden Temple at Amritsar in 1984.

Hundreds died in the Indian army raid and in October that year the country’s prime minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated in retaliation.

The request for British advice is disclosed in a letter dated February 23 1984 from Brian Fall, private secretary to then foreign secretary Geoffrey Howe, to Hugh Taylor, his counterpart under home secretary Leon Brittan.

It states: “The Indian authorities recently sought British advice over a plan to remove Sikh extremists from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

“The Foreign Secretary decided to respond favourably to the Indian request and, with the Prime Minister’s agreement, an SAD officer has visited India and drawn up a plan which has been approved by Mrs Gandhi.”

“SAD” is a misspelling  of SAS.

The letter warns that the operation could “exacerbate the communal violence in the Punjab” and also heighten tensions in Britain.

Mr Cameron said yesterday that he had asked Cabinet Office secretary Jeremy Heywood to investigate the matter.

But during a debate in the Commons he said: “I don’t want to pre-judge the outcome, but I would note that so far it has not found any evidence to contradict the insistence by senior Indian army commanders responsible at the time that it was planned and carried out solely by the Indian army.”

Labour MP for Wolverhampton South East Pat McFadden said: “This is an open wound that will heal only when the full truth is told.”

He called on the Prime Minister to ensure the full disclosure of all government papers and information of the time.

Labour leader Ed Miliband welcomed the announcement of the investigation but said it must be carried out “transparently” and “with a clear timetable.”

The Sikh Council UK also welcomed the investigation and urged all gurdwaras and Sikh organisations to “continue to lobby their MPs to ensure the matter is not forgotten or put on the back burner.”

paddym@peoples-press.com

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Members of trade unions shout slogans during a nationwide strike to protest an interim trade deal with the United States, saying the agreement undermines the interests of farmers, small businesses and workers in New Delhi, India, February 12, 2026
Workers' Rights / 25 February 2026
25 February 2026

The biggest strike in global history is a template for our future. The silence tells you all you need to know, writes CLAUDIA WEBBE

President Donald Trump shakes hands with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the Oval Office of the White House, February 13, 2025, in Washington
India / 16 October 2025
16 October 2025
A view of bank notes
Labour Party / 23 September 2025
23 September 2025
ILLEGAL FROM THE START: British commandos in the south east region of Afghanistan, May 2002
Features / 20 June 2025
20 June 2025

As the cover-ups collapse, IAN SINCLAIR looks at the shocking testimony from British forces who would ‘go in and shoot everyone sleeping there’ during night raids — illegal, systematic murder spawned by an illegal invasion