Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Efforts to get pandemic retirees to un-retire unlikely to work, says Resolution Foundation
[Mark Timberlake / Unsplash]

EFFORTS to get those who took early retirement during the Covid-19 pandemic back into work are “misguided,” the Resolution Foundation said yesterday, urging ministers to prioritise older workers, mothers and disabled people. 

In its latest report, the think tank argued that Tory government policy aimed at addressing the drop in Britain’s labour force participation has been too focused on the impact of the health crisis.

The independent organisation highlighted the sharp rise in economic inactivity between 2019 and last year — up 830,000, the bulk of which involved over-50s — but it noted that the increase had already started before the first Covid-19 lockdown hit in March 2020.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Business Secretary Peter Kyle, Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves and Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer on stage ahead of Reeves's keynote speech during the Labour Party Conference at the Liverpool Arena, September 29, 2025
Labour Party Conference 2025 / 30 September 2025
30 September 2025

Labour will find increases in the state pension age are unacceptable, just as cuts to the Winter Fuel Allowance, personal independence payments and universal credit are — it needs to change direction immediately, writes PCS general secretary FRAN HEATHCOTE