Skip to main content
Migrants begin setting off from Colombia through the Darien Gap again after strike by boat captains
Necocli, Colombia

MIGRANTS aiming to reach the United States are once again crossing the Darien Gap in large numbers, officials in Colombia said on Monday, after a strike by local boat captains ended.

Around 8,000 were stranded for much of last week in the small town of Necocli on the Caribbean coast.

Deputy Mayor Johann Wachter Espitia said that 3,000 migrants had left the town since Friday on boats headed towards the Darien jungle, with another 400 people waiting and sleeping in tents, as they gather money to pay for their tickets.

Liberation webinar, 30 November2024, 6pm (UK)
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
oldest library
Features / 3 April 2025
3 April 2025
Public libraries are sanctuaries which facilitate the exploration of the universe of ideas for free for those curious enough. ROGER McKENZIE advocates their protection against authoritarian incursions, US style