Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
DR Congo to receive tens of thousands of Ebola vaccine doses
Search media content Congo families mourn as Ebola outbreak accelerates, in photos Health workers tend to an Ebola patient at the Rwampara Treatment Center in Ituri, Congo, June 18, 2026

CONGO will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in past Ebola outbreaks, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and partners said.

The vaccine is licensed for use against Ebola virus, one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease, but not for Bundibugyo virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak which has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases.

WHO said in a statement that while it’s not known whether Ervebo may protect against the Bundibugyo virus, “early laboratory and animal data suggest it may provide some protection.”

The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, the agency said. The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers as recommended by WHO experts.

The outbreak raging in six provinces in eastern Congo has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other Ebola outbreak in history, and is spreading about three times faster compared to the 2014-2016 outbreak across west Africa — the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the approval “an important example of global solidarity in action.” 

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
People dressed in protective gear lower into a grave the coffin containing the remains of Jeannine Katusabe, who died of Ebola, during a burial service in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, August 11, 2026
Central Africa / 18 August 2026
18 August 2026
A health worker sprays disinfectant in a freshly dug grave for the body of Jacques Lobo Dhena, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, August 12, 2026
DR Congo / 13 August 2026
13 August 2026
Health workers in protective gear wave inside an Ebola treatment centre in Bunia, Congo, August 10, 2026
Central Africa / 11 August 2026
11 August 2026