Skip to main content
Advertise with the Morning Star
‘A complete betrayal’

Unions and left MPs slam government for cutting day one protections from unfair dismissal into the Employment Rights Bill

House of Commons Handout photo issued by the House of Commons of Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer speaking during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, London, November 26, 2025

PRIME Minister Sir Keir Starmer was accused of a “complete betrayal” today as at least 12 Labour MPs backed calls to reinstate day one protections from unfair dismissal into the Employment Rights Bill.

Ministers have axed the proposal to cut the “qualifying period” for workers to make an unfair dismissal claim from 24 months to the first day in a new job.

They intend to introduce the right after six months of service instead, while other day-one rights to parental leave and sick pay are still set to go ahead, coming into effect in April 2026.

Architect of the New Deal for Working People Andy McDonald MP has launched a campaign to reverse the U-turn.

As unions and Labour groups linked with would-be rivals to Sir Keir’s premiership attacked the move, he said: “The plans announced today to merely reduce the qualifying period for unfair dismissal, from two years to six months, is a complete betrayal.

“The party kept and reaffirmed that commitment in its manifesto, when it published the Employment Rights Bill, and has been repeated by ministers ever since, from Angela Rayner to Jonny Reynolds, and [Business Secretary] Peter Kyle as recently as September.

“This is a wrong-headed move and I will campaign to have this concession reversed.”

Labour’s flagship workers’ rights package had recently been caught in a stand-off between peers and MPs over the original plan to give workers the protection on day one, as well as measures to ban “exploitative” zero-hours contracts.

The party’s manifesto explicitly promised to “consult fully with businesses, workers and civil society on how to put our plans into practice before legislation is passed.

“This will include banning exploitative zero-hours contracts; ending fire and rehire; and introducing basic rights from day one to parental leave, sick pay and protection from unfair dismissal.”

Speaking to broadcasters on Thursday evening, Mr Kyle denied the concession was a breach of Labour’s manifesto and insisted the compromise had been found by “unions and the employers” and “it’s not my job to stand in the way of that compromise.”

TUC general secretary Paul Nowak said that the “absolute priority” was to get the legislation onto the statute books.

Former employment minister Justin Madders, who was sacked in the Prime Minister’s reshuffle earlier this year, said: “It might be a compromise. It might even be necessary to get the Bill passed [as soon as possible]. But it most definitely is a manifesto breach.”

Labour MP for Leeds East Richard Burgon urged the labour movement to be vigilant to stop any more changes to the Bill, warning big business and anti-worker groups will have “scented blood” and will now be pushing to dilute the legislation further.

Labour MPs Neil Duncan-Jordan and Rachael Maskell were among those hitting out at the move as Unite leader Sharon Graham told Sky News that “workers will feel duped” by the manifesto breach.

“The issue is about trust,” she said.

“The Employment Rights Bill is a shell of its former self.

“With fire and rehire and zero-hours contracts not being banned, the Bill is already unrecognisable.

“These constant rowbacks will only damage workers’ confidence that the protections promised will be worth the wait. Labour needs to keep its promises.”

Transport Salaried Staffs Association general secretary Maryam Eslamdoust slammed the “very significant watering down of the Employment Rights Bill and a breach of Labour’s manifesto commitment,” adding that “it’s vital that the government thinks again about this damaging U-turn.”

Bakers’ union president Ian Hodson said: “It’s another broken promise.

“Labour MPs should fight for workers not tell us to settle for crumbs from the bosses table.”

A spokesman for train drivers’ union Aslef said: “The [Confederation of British Industry] CBI and Tory and Lib Dem Lords’ opposition to day one protection from unfair dismissal is disgraceful.

“We’ll continue fighting for comprehensive day one rights for every worker.”

Mainstream, a pressure group that was launched in September with an endorsement from Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, accused Sir Keir of leaving unions “high and dry.”

Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson insisted that the government’s decision is not a U-turn and does not break Labour’s manifesto, telling BBC Breakfast: “The Employment Rights Bill represents the biggest upgrade to workers’ rights in a generation.”

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.