Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
US congress urged to allow nearly 200,000 Salvadoran refugees to stay
El Salvador immigrants Diana Paredes (left) and Isabel Barrera (right) react to the announcement on Temporary Protected Status for nationals of El Salvador, in Los Angeles

EL SALVADOR urged the US Congress on yesterday to allow almost 200,000 refugees from the country to stay in the United States.

Salvadorian Foreign Minister Hugo Martinez said he was confident new legislation could be put in place before the refugees lose their “temporary protected status” on September 9 2019.

US Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said earlier that about 190,000 Salvadorians living there since the 2001 earthquake disaster in their country would have to leave by then or face deportation.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.