Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Words are not enough, campaigners warn after Miliband criticises Israel's new illegal settlement plans
Israeli settlers put up Israeli flags on a Palestinian sturucture on the outskirts of the occupied West Bank city of Beit Sahour, August 14, 2026

WORDS are not enough against all of Israel’s “atrocities,” campaigners warned today after Ed Miliband criticised Tel Aviv’s new illegal settlement plans.

The Foreign Secretary said Britain would not “stand back and accept the destruction of the two-state solution,” as he pledged to set out measures in response to Israeli policies in the coming weeks.

He said Britain had been clear publicly and privately about its opposition to the E1 settlement project, which he said risks endangering a two-state solution by separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem.

“I made clear to the Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar that the Israeli government must halt E1 plans immediately, retract the tender and stop all settlement expansion,” he said.

The plan received final approval on Wednesday, although Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not comment.

While visiting another settlement on Sunday, he said: “I said 25 years ago that we will do everything to secure our grip on the Land of Israel, to prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state, to prevent the attempts to uproot us from here.

“Thank God, what I promised, we have delivered.”

The Foreign Office also summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires to set out Britain’s “profound objection” to the new settlement plans.

Mr Miliband said: “This Israeli government’s publication of a tender for the E1 settlement project is an unacceptable and destructive act.

“All settlements damage that prospect and are a flagrant breach of international law.”

He said the expansion of settlements and “attempts to create irreversible divisions” on the ground threaten peace and prospects for a Palestinian state.

Mr Miliband backed a back-bench motion to recognise a Palestinian state when leader of the Labour Party in 2014. Britain formally recognised Palestine last year.

But Palestine Solidarity Campaign deputy director Ryvka Barnard said that while Mr Miliband is right to condemn the settlement project, his words “must be matched by decisive action against all of Israel’s atrocities against Palestinians.”

“That doesn’t just mean action against Israel’s illegal settlements in the West Bank, but also against its ongoing genocide in Gaza and the apartheid system it imposes across historic Palestine,” she told the Star.

“Unless truly comprehensive sanctions are imposed on Israel – including a full arms embargo and a ban on all trade that aids or assists Israel’s unlawful occupation of Palestinian territory – Andy Burnham’s government risks falling to the same fate as Keir Starmer’s: plummeting support and a disgraceful legacy.”

Stop the War Coalition vice-chairman Chris Nineham agreed that the construction plan “marks a massive escalation in the ongoing and more and more brutal annexation of the West Bank, while attacks continue in Gaza.”

“But condemnation is not enough,” he said. “We need actions that will actually have an impact. Sanctions.

“An immediate end to all arms sales. The expulsion of diplomats. We need to make it clear to Israel the world is prepared to act against them.”

A coalition spokeswoman added: “Words are not enough. Talk of comprehensive measures is not enough.

“It’s a year since the UK recognised the State of Palestine and there’s been absolutely no real action to stop Israel’s violations of international law in the West Bank.

“And it’s nearly three years of genocide and the government is still arming Israel.”

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar hit back at Mr Miliband’s comments and its “patronising tone,” writing on X: “There have been no new decisions regarding development in E1. The decision was made in 2025.

“The tender process has been underway for several months, with certain tender documents published only in recent days.”

The plan for E1 involves the construction of about 3,400 new housing units.

Infrastructure work could begin within months, according to Israeli advocacy group Peace Now.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
ENOUGH SAID ACT NOW: Bodies of members of the Hassayna and Abu Sharia families, killed in an Israeli strike in 2023 have recently been recovered from the rubble are given a proper burial in Gaza City on August 4 2026
Gaza Genocide / 14 August 2026
14 August 2026

Given the recent rejection of peace proposals by Israel the world must provide an immediate and resolute response to force accountability on Gaza, argues RAMZY BAROUD

Jana, 8, mourns over the body of her 10-year-old brother, Motaz Abu Shaar, who was killed by the Israeli military, during his funeral at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, July 14, 2026
Gaza Genocide / 14 July 2026
14 July 2026

82 MPs and peers test incoming premier Andy Burnham’s intentions to reset government policy towards Israel

A Palestinian man carries a wounded girl into al-Shifa Hospital following Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip, Saturday, Nov. 22, 2025
Gaza Genocide / 29 November 2025
29 November 2025

On International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, HUGH LANNING warns that the US-led “Comprehensive Plan” entrenches decades of Western complicity in Israel’s domination and denial of Palestinian land and rights