CHILDREN’S campaigners say that young people in Wales are at risk from pollutants from the wildfires raging across the country.
The county borough of Torfaen in south-east Wales, which includes the towns of Cwmbran, Pontypool and Bleanavon, had the fourth-highest intensity of carbon emissions per square kilometre in the world during July due to the wildfires burning there.
Data by Copernicus Wildfire Emissions Watch was analysed by the Save the Children. The charity pointed out children are among the most vulnerable because their bodies, organs and immune systems are still not fully developed; they absorb more pollutants than adults as they tend to breathe faster, with fine particulate matter, known as PM2.5, associated with premature deaths in the general population.
There are 20,952 children and youngsters under 19 living in Torfaen.
Save the Children Wales charity head Melanie Simmonds said: “In Wales and across the world, children are breathing in smoke from wildfires, coping with extreme heat and losing the freedom to play outdoors because the air is no longer safe.
“These conditions are not only frightening, they carry serious health consequences for children whose bodies and lungs are still developing.”
One of the most significant wildfires in Torfaen is in Blaenavon, which started burning on July 19 and continues to burn a month later, with shifting wind conditions carrying smoke for miles across south Wales.
Climate Cymru’s Bethan Sayed said: “The devastating data showing Torfaen ranking fourth globally for wildfire emission intensity is a terrifying reality check for Wales.
“Wildfires are no longer a distant climate threat occurring elsewhere, they are becoming our new norm, threatening the health, safety, and futures of thousands of our children.
“To build real resilience, local people and youth representatives must be directly embedded into key decision-making spaces, including the [Welsh government-established] nature & climate action plan board.
“Climate and community groups must have a seat at the table at the upcoming wildfire summit [announced by First Minister Rhun ap Iorwerth for Wales earlier this month in parallel with Prime Minister Andy Burnham’s national multi-agency meeting] to discuss what can be done to combat these situations in future.”
A Welsh government spokesperson said: “We have been actively engaged throughout the response, helping ensure that every available resource is directed towards protecting the public.
“Our immediate priority remains supporting front-line responders and keeping people safe.
“At the same time, we remain committed to convening the multi-agency summit at the earliest opportunity to address the longer-term threat of fires to our communities.”
As Ontario burns, campaigners are demanding action – not more pipelines, says DAVE McKEE



