Skip to main content
The Morning Star Shop
Wolff brandishes Red Bull protest ‘petty’ and ’embarrassing’
Mercedes driver George Russell (front) takes a turn ahead of Red Bull Racing driver Max Verstappen during Formula One auto racing action at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, June 15, 2025. Photo: Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press via AP

MERCEDES boss Toto Wolff has called Red Bull’s protest “petty” and “embarrassing” after George Russell beat reigning world champion Max Verstappen at Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix.

Red Bull challenged Russell’s victory in Montreal for both driving erratically and committing unsportsmanlike conduct behind the safety car, a claim which was rejected by the stewards.

It was the second time they had launched a protest against the Mercedes driver this season following a claim he had failed to slow sufficiently under yellow flags in Miami.

Speaking to Sky Sports at the launch of the new F1 movie in New York, Mercedes principal Wolff said: “First of all, it took team Red Bull Racing two hours before they launched the protest, so that was in their doing. You know, honestly, it’s so petty and so small.

“They come up with some weird clauses, what they call clauses. I guess the FIA needs to look at that because it’s so far-fetched it was rejected.

“You know, you race, you win and you lose on track. That was a fair victory for us, like so many they had in the past. And it’s just embarrassing.”

Russell’s win in Montreal was a first of the season for Mercedes and the protest represented the latest in a series of controversies involving he and four-time world champion Verstappen.

However speaking at the same event, Red Bull boss Christian Horner insisted he had no regrets about the decision to go to the stewards.

Horner said: “No, absolutely not. I mean, it’s a team’s right to do so. You know, we saw something we didn’t think was quite right.

“You have the ability to put it in front of the stewards and so that’s what we chose to do. Absolutely no regrets in that.”

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
England head coach John Mitchell during a team run at cinch Stadium at Franklin's Gardens, Northampton, August 29, 2025
Women’s rugby union / 29 August 2025
29 August 2025
McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain in action during the second practice for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, Netherlands, August 29, 2025
Formula One / 29 August 2025
29 August 2025

Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll walked away from a high-speed crash today

Tottenham Hotspur's Djed Spence, August 16, 2025
Men’s football / 29 August 2025
29 August 2025
Naomi Osaka, of Japan, signals during a match against Greet Minnen, of Belgium, during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis championships, August 26, 2025, in New York
Women’s tennis / 29 August 2025
29 August 2025
Similar stories
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands steers his car during the sprint qualification ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix at the Spa-Francorchamps racetrack in Spa, Belgium, July 25, 2025
Formula One / 31 July 2025
31 July 2025
Christian Horner, July 6, 2024
Formula One / 9 July 2025
9 July 2025

Ex-Formula One boss was longest-serving on the grid after 20 years in role

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen celebrates with teammates aft
Formula One / 24 November 2024
24 November 2024
Dutch driver outscores Norris as Russell secures stylish victory in Las Vegas