Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Israeli military intercepts vessels from pro-Palestinian flotilla trying to break the Gaza blockade
This grab from CCTV footage shows activists aboard a flotilla boat with their hands in the air as a boat approaches one of more than 50 vessels that departed from the port of Marmaris, Turkey, in international waters Monday, May 18, 2026. Photo: Global Su

THE Israeli military began intercepting boats today that are part of the latest wave of pro-Palestinian flotilla activists attempting to break the blockade of Gaza.

More than 50 vessels departed from the port in Marmaris, Turkey, last week in what the organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla described as the final leg of their planned journey to Gaza’s shores.

The organisation’s livestream on Monday showed activists aboard several vessels putting on life jackets and raising their hands before a boat carrying troops approached.

Israeli troops wearing tactical gear boarded the ship, and the livestream abruptly ended. Many of the ships are currently off the coast of Cyprus.

Other footage showed Israeli troops on speedboats approaching and instructing the activists to move to the front of the boat.

An hour prior to the interception, Israel’s Foreign Ministry called on activists to “change course and turn back immediately.”

“Once again, a provocation for the sake of provocation: another so-called ‘humanitarian aid flotilla’ with no humanitarian aid,” the Foreign Ministry posted on social media.

The Israeli military declined to comment on the ongoing operation.

Organisers said the boats were intercepted 250 nautical miles from the shores of Gaza.

Unlike previous interceptions, which took place under the cover of night, the Israeli military boarded the boats in broad daylight.

The blockade has been in effect for 18 years, long predating the recent war in Gaza.

On April 30, Israeli forces intercepted more than 20 boats from a flotilla near the southern Greek island of Crete, initially holding about 175 activists. Israeli officials said they had to act early because of the high number of boats involved.

Israel took two of the activists, a Spanish-Swedish citizen of Palestinian origin, Saif Abukeshek, and Brazilian citizen Thiago Avila, back to Israel, where they were interrogated and detained for several days.

The activists accused Israel of torture, which Israel denied. Brazil and Spain condemned Israel for “kidnapping” their citizens. The two were deported from Israel after about a week in detention.

Organisers say the latest efforts involved around 500 activists from 45 countries.

The activists’ attempt comes less than a year after Israeli authorities foiled a previous effort by the group to reach Gaza. That attempt involved about 50 vessels and around 500 activists, including Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, Nelson Mandela’s grandson Mandla Mandela and several European politicians.

Israel arrested, detained and later deported the participants, who claimed Israeli authorities abused them while in detention.

Israeli authorities have denied the accusations.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.