Skip to main content
Advertise with the Morning Star
The Tories have launched their ‘biggest attack on the labour movement in a century’, Burgon warns
Labour's Richard Burgon addresses RMT members

TORY ministers have launched their “biggest attack on the labour movement in a century,” Labour MP Richard Burgon warned today.

The member for Leeds East told transport union RMT’s young members conference in Hastings that the “draconian” Strikes (Minimum Service Levels) Bill is based on a “pack of lies peddled by free market fundamentalists.”

The legislation, which reached the House of Lords earlier this week, would empower bosses to sack workers who refuse to cross their own picket lines during walkouts, mandating an as-yet undefined minimum service level which ministers will arbitrarily set later.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
People take part in a protest organised by the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) opposite Downing Street, London, over the proposed closure of railway station ticket offices, August 31, 2023
Features / 3 May 2025
3 May 2025

This May Day we reaffirm our commitment to working people and our class and to get trade unionism back on the front foot, says EDDIE DEMPSEY

Prime Minister Keir Starmer, Deputy Prime Minister Angela Ra
Britain / 12 March 2025
12 March 2025
Tax rich instead of cutting benefits, PM told
Eddie Dempsey joins the picket line outside Paddington Stati
Britain / 6 March 2025
6 March 2025
WORKERS’ RIGHTS: Labour MP for Leeds East Richard Burgon o
Features / 20 January 2025
20 January 2025
RICHARD BURGON MP says the government should use the Employment Rights Bill to reverse a shameful Tory decision on discrimination