Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Voters told to go away after Barnet gives out old lists

LONDON mayoral candidate Sophie Walker made a formal complaint yesterday after spectacular bungling by Barnet Council meant many voters were turned away from morning polling.

The Women’s Equality Party candidate registered a complaint with the council and the London Assembly when it emerged that many names were missing from electoral registers across Barnet and that residents had been prevented from voting.

The council apologised and said that all the registers had been updated by 10am allowing people to vote as normal.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Count Binface on July 17 2026
Opinion / 4 August 2026
4 August 2026

CHARLEY ALLAN reports from Clacton on Farage’s fears his by-election stunt has backfired

Lord Sutch
Politics / 27 July 2026
27 July 2026

MAT COWARD introduces some of the electoral oddballs of the political fringe who remain one of the liveliest features of British democracy, despite efforts to abolish them

WELSH SHIFT: Plaid Cymru Leader Rhun ap Iorwerth (left) and Deputy Leader Delyth Jewell (right) with newly elected Senedd member Lindsay Whittle at a rally after victory in the Caerphilly Senedd by-election on October 24 2025
Features / 6 February 2026
6 February 2026

Morning Star Wales reporter DAVID NICHOLSON analyses polling for the Senedd election — and it’s bad news for Welsh Labour