JAMES NALTON argues that Curtis Jones’s departure leaves Liverpool facing a stark local void as the club’s roots are increasingly swallowed by football’s globalised model
WOMEN’S CRICKET: Lancashire and England bowler Kate Cross has announced she will retire from professional cricket at the end of the season.
The 34-year-old, who made her senior county debut for Lancashire aged just 13 in 2005, has taken 140 wickets in 102 England appearances across all formats and last year became only the eighth player to take 100 one-day international wickets.
Cross said she looks back at her career with “pride and gratitude.”
MEN’S FOOTBALL: Roberto De Zerbi has confirmed Micky van de Ven is Tottenham’s new captain.
The Dutch centre-back will replace Cristian Romero after he joined Atletico Madrid last week.
Van de Ven is part of a five-player leadership group which includes Pedro Porro, Ben Davies, James Maddison and 20-year-old Archie Gray, who could wear the armband at Brentford today with Van de Ven and Porro not ready to start.
MEN’S RUGBY LEAGUE: Castleford have confirmed Ryan Carr has left his role as head coach for personal reasons.
The 38-year-old joined the Super League club on a three-year deal at the start of the campaign, but now departs with the Tigers sitting in ninth position.
Owner Martin Jepson said the search for a new head coach will begin immediately, while Luke Robinson remains as an assistant coach.
MEN’S FOOTBALL: Marco Rose is positive ahead of his Bournemouth debut at Manchester City on Sunday.
The German head coach was unveiled in May after Andoni Iraola made the decision to leave the south coast club.
Bournemouth are one of nine Premier League teams to make a managerial change this summer and Rose knows what to expect up against new Man City boss Enzo Maresca.
Snippets of news from the sporting world
Snippets of news from the sporting world
Snippets of news from the sporting world



