THE Palestinian American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week has travelled to his property to join family members who have been defending it.
Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, landed in Israel with settlers still roaming near Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother.
The stand-off in the village has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian houses and prevent residents from leaving.
Mr Ridi told reporters: “I’ve been watching this live for many days and now this is the second week. I can’t sleep.
“I can’t let the settlers steal my house while I am watching.”
The siege by Israeli settlers comes as violence in the West Bank has soared in recent months.
The settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields ablaze.
Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year, according to Palestinian health officials. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed during clashes in the West Bank village of Tell last month.
Meanwhile, US negotiator Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of US President Donald Trump, held a marathon meeting on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The meeting, which was also attended by ex British prime minister Tony Blair, as a member of the so-called Board of Peace, left the fate of the Gaza ceasefire unclear.
Hamas has already agreed to the proposal. But the US appears to have given in to Israeli demands that Hamas disarmament must come before any reconstruction of Gaza.
Mr Netanyahu has publicly rejected the 15-point US-backed road map to move the ceasefire deal forward, saying there will be no withdrawal without disarmament.
In a statement, Mr Netanyahu’s office said the talks were “deep and constructive.” Israel and the board agreed to establish two working groups — one on the disarmament and demilitarisation of Gaza and another focused on public health issues for Gaza.
The statement said that Israel has agreed that the demilitarisation “should be prompt and completed before any reconstruction.”
A Board of Peace source said it was also agreed that the demilitarisation must include “every weapon, light and heavy, and every tunnel.”
While international actors discuss governance and reconstruction, Netanyahu has made it clear that Israel has no intention of ending its military occupation, says RAMZY BAROUD



