Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Vigil to be held for Jason Arday after Cambridge's youngest black professor killed by ‘racist witch hunt’
Jason Arday carries the Olympic Flame, July 23, 2012

A VIGIL will be held for Jason Arday on Monday after the University of Cambridge’s youngest ever black professor was found dead following a “racist witch hunt.”

Prof Arday was found dead on Friday after resigning from his post as professor of sociology of education amid allegations of plagiarism and the University of Cambridge saying that it would investigate the circumstances around his “appointment and tenure.”

Stand Up To Racism (SUTR) announced plans for the gathering in London’s Trafalgar Square at 6pm as a fundraiser for the 41-year-old father’s family, set up by Windrush campaigner Sir Patrick Vernon, raised more than £70,000.

SUTR said: “The right-wing press and the far right have orchestrated a racist witch hunt which has produced the most tragic result.”

Co-convenor Weyman Bennett added: “For more than a week the right wing press, politicians and the far right have hounded Jason with the most vicious racism. 

“They are spreading the far right lie that black people are only appointed because of the colour of our skin, rather than our ability.

“They have blood on their hands. Our thoughts are with Jason’s family, but we are furious with those who are to blame. Enough is enough.”

Today Prof Arday’s friend and former colleague Sir Simon Baron-Cohen told Times Radio that the university should press ahead with its investigation, as it should “always be reflecting on how it’s operating and whether it can do better.”

Lord Simon Woolley, principal of Homerton College, Cambridge, told BBC Radio 4’s Broadcasting House programme that his friend felt “hounded to death” and called for an investigation into the “vicious media onslaught.”

On Saturday, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the professor’s death as a “tragedy on so many levels,” adding: “It’s not a moment for any rushing to judgement. It’s a moment for reflection, I would say, reflecting on how things came to this.”

In a statement issued by his publisher Simon & Schuster UK on Friday, Prof Arday’s family said he had been subjected to a “campaign of sustained abuse” since he accepted the role of professor at Cambridge.

They said: “The campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason, who was a gentleman and who always wanted to see the best in everyone.”

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Students arrive for the Trinity May Ball at Cambridge University's Trinity College, June 22, 2026
Tribunal / 12 August 2026
12 August 2026
NO PASARAN: Stand Up to Racism protest in Epping, Essex outside the former Bell Hotel in Epping, believed to be housing asylum seekers on July 27 2025
Features / 21 February 2026
21 February 2026

May elections will soon be upon us and SABBY DHALU calls for a maximum mobilisation, across Britain, to defeat Reform UK and the right at the ballot box

[Pic: Andrew Wiard]
Media / 24 January 2026
24 January 2026

As advertising drains away, newsrooms shrink and local papers disappear, MIKE WAYNE argues that the market model for news is broken – and that public-interest alternatives, rooted in democratic accountability, are more necessary than ever