Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Thornberry says government ‘making excuses’ on Yemen to keep arms trade alive

THE TORY government has been making excuses for the Saudi-led bombardment of Yemen to protect its “lucrative trade in arms” Emily Thornberry said today.

In an emergency parliamentary debate, the shadow foreign secretary called on MPs "not to stay silent but to raise our voices ever louder" in the face of the ongoing war.

The United Nations estimates that, last month alone, the conflict killed or injured 981 civilians, including over 300 children.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
ENOUGH SAID ACT NOW: Bodies of members of the Hassayna and Abu Sharia families, killed in an Israeli strike in 2023 have recently been recovered from the rubble are given a proper burial in Gaza City on August 4 2026
Gaza Genocide / 14 August 2026
14 August 2026

Given the recent rejection of peace proposals by Israel the world must provide an immediate and resolute response to force accountability on Gaza, argues RAMZY BAROUD

Palestinians take cover during an Israeli strike on a building in Gaza City, September 7, 2025
TUC Congress 2025 / 9 September 2025
9 September 2025

The people of Palestine need our solidarity in actions not words – trade unionists must give them our full support in their darkest hour, writes DANIEL KEBEDE