Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Reeves orders 5% cuts across all government departments in ‘efficiency drive’
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves speaks to the media after a visit to Maidstone Hospital to announce the launch of Phase 2 of the Spending Review, December 10, 2024

CHANCELLOR Rachel Reeves has ordered 5 per cent cuts across government departments in an “efficiency drive” that resembles austerity.

Announcing the spending review, Ms Reeves said: “I have no doubt that we can find efficiency savings within government spending of 5 per cent and I’m determined to do so.”

She said the cuts would be secured by cracking down on waste and focusing on the five “milestone” policies Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer outlined in his government relaunch last week.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves during a visit to OES Group Ltd in Gateshead, July 13, 2026
Labour Party / 14 July 2026
14 July 2026
Unite the union general secretary Sharon Graham
Economy / 13 November 2025
13 November 2025