Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Scores of people kidnapped from Nigeria mosque

UP TO 80 people were kidnapped from a mosque in a spree of abductions in Nigeria’s north-central Niger state, police say.

The assailants attacked a mosque in Kpenya after attacks in a string of villages in the remote Borgu local government area, police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun said.

No group has claimed responsibility for Friday’s attacks.

Mr Abiodun did not provide figures but said no lives were lost, and said the military was deployed to the area. 

Residents said scores of people were abducted, with some estimating between 60 and 80 people were kidnapped. A search for survivors was underway on Saturday.

Borgu area council chairman Abdullahi Mohammed Nasir said at least 60 people were kidnapped and many people sustained gunshot injuries while trying to escape the gunmen.

“People were abducted while praying at a Juma’at mosque on Friday,” Mr Nasir said. 

Zubairu Umar Talba, a youth leader in the Dekara area in Borgu, said his father was among those who were taken. 

“Nobody can tell you the exact number of people abducted because, so far, about 80 of our people have been abducted and many have fled the area,” he said.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Displaced people fleeing Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon sit in traffic at a highway links to Beirut, in the southern port city of Sidon, March 2, 2026
Round-up / 2 March 2026
2 March 2026
Nigeria
West Africa attacks / 28 December 2025
28 December 2025
The dormitories where gunmen kidnapped schoolgirls is seen in Kebbi, Nigeria, November 17, 2025
Nigeria / 26 November 2025
26 November 2025
A vendor sells local newspapers with headlines referring to US President Donald Trump's comments about Nigeria, on the street of Lagos, Nigeria, Sunday, Nov. 2, 2025
Maga Diplomacy / 10 November 2025
10 November 2025

Nigeria’s presidential spokesman grovels to the West in response to Washington intimidation, writes PAVAN KULKARNI