Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Kyrgios provisionally suspended after positive cocaine test
PROVISIONAL SUSPENSION: Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios

NICK KYRGIOS has admitted making a “huge mistake” after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite and being provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency yesterday.

Kyrgios gave a sample at an ATP tournament in Majorca in June that tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

Writing on Instagram, Kyrgios said: “I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine.

“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me.

“I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

Cocaine is banned in competition and former Wimbledon finalist Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended since August 4.

The 31-year-old is prohibited from playing and attending tournaments pending the outcome of a tribunal that will assess his case.

His first-round loss to fellow Australian Adam Walton in Majorca was his last competitive singles outing and one of only four singles matches he has played this season.

Kyrgios’ career has been blighted by knee and wrist problems since his run to the Wimbledon showpiece in 2022 and his ranking has slipped to 919 in the world.

He said he would not make “excuses” for the positive test but cited the toll of his physical issues.

“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined,” he said.

“At times I’ve felt hopeless and alone. However, the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call.”

Kyrgios added he will take a 28-day break from social media to focus on “getting myself right,” concluding: “I’m sorry, I’ll come back better.”

Kyrgios, who last played competitively at Wimbledon earlier this summer in the men’s doubles, has earned a reputation as the “bad boy” of this generation of players.

He has been fined numerous times for his behaviour on court, including swearing, breaking rackets and abuse towards officials, while in 2023 he pleaded guilty in court in Canberra to pushing over a former girlfriend.

Kyrgios, meanwhile, was hugely critical of the handling of previous high-profile doping cases involving Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek, describing the pair testing positive for banned substances as “disgusting for our sport.”

Having initially been cleared of blame following two positive tests for a steroid, Sinner eventually served a three-month ban, while Swiatek was suspended for one month after an investigation concluded she had unknowingly taken contaminated medication.

Kyrgios could face a ban of up to four years but, if he can prove he took the drug out of competition, the maximum sanction he would face is three months, which could be reduced to as little as one month if he agrees to an approved treatment plan.

Britain’s Dan Evans was banned for a year for taking cocaine out of competition in 2017 but the rules changed in 2021, with the penalties reduced.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Jack Draper reacts during the match against Marin Cilic on day four of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, July 3, 2025
Men’s tennis / 5 August 2026
5 August 2026
Arthur Fery of Great Britain celebrates victory over Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria following their Gentlemen's Singles match on day eight of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, July 6, 2026
Men’s Tennis / 7 July 2026
7 July 2026
Czechoslovakia's Martina Navratilova in action against America's Chris Evert in the singles final on Centre Court during Wimbledon. Navratilova defeated Evert 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 to win the ladies Championship
Tennis / 6 July 2026
6 July 2026

A new documentary recalls the unmatched rivalry between Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, but it is also an honest and intimate look at their unlikely off-court friendship and shared battle with cancer, writes LINDA PENTZ GUNTER

Spain's Carlos Alcaraz returns to Italy's Jannik Sinner during the final tennis match of the ATP World Tour Finals, in Turin, Italy, November 16, 2025
Men’s tennis / 18 November 2025
18 November 2025