Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Premier League chief accuses Infantino of pressing ‘self-destruct button’
FACING BACKLASH: Fifa President Gianni Infantino

PREMIER LEAGUE chief executive Richard Masters has accused embattled Fifa president Gianni Infantino of pressing the “self-destruct button” over failed plans to sell stakes in the World Cup.

Infantino is fighting to stay in his job following huge backlash to his intention to sell a minority stake in Fifa tournaments to private investors.

Uefa has become his main detractor, with the FA also withdrawing its support for Infantino.

“This is a problem of Fifa’s making,” Masters told BBC Sport.

“This is a self-inflicted wound. The organisation has pressed the self-destruct button, and the consequences of that flow now into the solutions that need to be found.

“I don’t think Fifa should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup.

“They’re a not-for-profit organisation. They should really be holding that competition in trust for the future of football.

“I think it’s a bad idea, and the FA have taken the right position regards to Gianni.”

On a potential rival to Infantino’s re-election next year, Masters added: “I think an emerging unity candidate should have on his or her agenda reform of Fifa, and perhaps even reform of the president’s role and how it interacts with those things.”

Earlier, Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister said Fifa’s decision to dismiss senior executive Kevin Lamour sends a “deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change.”

Fifa confirmed Lamour’s departure as chief operating officer on Monday evening, just over two weeks after he released a statement to the Associated Press saying the Fifa administration had been “deceived” by Infantino over his plan.

Lamour’s statement on July 31, along with the resignation of senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro earlier the same day, heaped further pressure on Infantino, with Lamour describing the private investor plan as “the project of one person.”

McAllister, a former Wales captain who worked with Lamour at European football’s governing body when he was its deputy general secretary, has criticised his sacking.

“I know Kevin Lamour to be an honourable and exemplary sports leader who was a trusted colleague of mine when I was first elected to Uefa Ex Co,” McAllister said in a statement.

“Kevin is not only a deeply principled leader who cares passionately for football, but a brave advocate for the values that should underpin all we do as custodians of our game.

“During the shabby events of the past weeks, he showed himself to be a courageous advocate for the most important stakeholders in football.

“Having worked with Kevin, I know that his leadership always operates on principles of respect, independence, transparency and sound governance.

“Kevin’s sacking seriously weakens Fifa’s administration, whilst undermining this unique opportunity to shift the culture at Fifa and to reset the organisation on sporting values, not simply commercial and financial ones. Fifa is not the president, it is the whole football family.

“As I have said repeatedly, world football needs strong, principled, independent leaders who are prepared to speak up, challenge when necessary, and stand firmly by their values and those of the global game.

“Instead, the loss of a leader of Kevin’s calibre sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change.”

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Fifa President Gianni Infantino arrives for the inauguration of Colombia's new president Abelardo de la Espriella in Cali, Colombia, August 7, 2026
Men’s Football / 13 August 2026
13 August 2026
DESPICABLE OPPORTUNISM: FIFA President Gianni Infantino at the opening of the International Broadcast Center in Dallas on June 1 2026
Men’s football / 9 August 2026
9 August 2026

LaLiga president Tebas says ‘Infantino era is over’ as pressure mounts on Fifa chief 

FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during the match schedule reveal for the 2026 soccer World Cup in Washington, December 6, 2025
Men’s Football / 29 July 2026
29 July 2026

PM says football belongs to fans as governing bodies unite against Fifa plans