Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Travelodge chief steps down after criticism over handling of sexual assault

TRAVELODGE chief executive Jo Boydell stepped down today following heavy criticism over her handling of a sexual assault at one of the chain’s hotels.

The firm announced Ms Boydell will be replaced by chief financial officer Ray Reidy on an interim basis while they hunt for a permanent successor.

Earlier this year, former prime minister Sir Keir Starmer urged Ms Boydell to “seriously engage” with the government on the incident after she cancelled a meeting with MPs.

A guest at a Travelodge in Maidenhead, Berkshire, was sexually assaulted by a man who had been given a key card to her room.

Kyran Smith, 29, was jailed in February for seven-and-a-half years following the attack in December 2022.

Ms Boydell, who spent 13 years with the group, was appointed chief executive in May 2022 and was the chief financial officer from March 2013.

Her departure comes as the Travelodge group reported underlying earnings edging up to £47.9 million for the six months to June 30 from £47.3m a year earlier.

Turnover lifted 4 per cent to £491.3m, but it said profit growth was held back by “significant cost pressures,” including a rising staff wage bill.

Mr Reidy said: “We remain focused on the safety and well-being of our guests and will continue taking the actions necessary to strengthen the business.

“We will also continue to engage proactively and constructively with government and the wider hospitality industry on the issue of safety and security.”

Travelodge added it had “acted quickly” to improve safety procedures following the assault and as claims emerged that staff were giving out duplicate keys without the proper security checks.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.