SOUTH KOREA’S president said today that a solid alliance with the United States strengthens the foundation of national security.
The comments from President Lee Jae Myung came after US President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises.
In a Cabinet meeting, President Lee stressed the importance of a firm military alliance with the US, saying that “national security will be further strengthened when the alliance is solid.”
The US president made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before Monday’s annual Ulchi Freedom Shield war games began.
President Trump cited what he said was good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join the US war against Iran.
President Trump’s move was apparently taken without consultations with South Korea and meant to reach out to Mr Kim.
Enthusiasm for the US has eroded among many South Koreans because of President Trump’s tariff war and last year’s immigration raid in the US state of Georgia that led to the detainment of hundreds of South Korean workers.
President Trump’s announcement “reveals the stark reality of a faltering Korea-US alliance,” South Korea’s Hankook Ilbo newspaper said in an editorial Tuesday.
It was unclear which parts of the 11-day South Korea-US exercises were being downsized.
North Korea’s Foreign Ministry accused South Korea and the US of plotting more provocative drills this year and vowed to respond with “a new level of a deterrent.”



