Skip to main content
Death toll from Vanuatu earthquake expected to rise
In this image released by Vanuatu Red Cross Society, its volunteers assist staff with the clean up at Vila Central Hospital in Port Vila, Vanuatu, December 18, 2024, following a powerful earthquake that struck just off the coast of Vanuatu in the South Pa

VANUATU’S capital was without water today, a day after reservoirs were destroyed by a violent magnitude 7.3 earthquake that wrought havoc on the South Pacific island nation, with the number of people killed and injured expected to rise.

The government’s disaster management office said early today that 14 deaths were confirmed, but hours later said nine had been verified by the main hospital.

The number was “expected to increase” as people remained trapped in fallen buildings, a spokesperson said. About 200 people have been treated for injuries.

Morning Star call for advertising
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
knee
Features / 13 March 2025
13 March 2025
Ben Cowles previews his interview with Stand Up to Racism’s SABBY DHALU for the Morning Star’s new Youtube channel