HUNDREDS of demonstrators gathered on Saturday outside the Okinawa prefecture to protest at recent remarks about Taiwan made by Japan’s right-wing Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi.
She suggested in early November that Japan might respond with military force if China imposes a naval blockade on Taiwan.
Ms Takaichi’s remarks about the breakaway Chinese province have caused a major rift with Beijing.
Today, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi condemned the comments, saying: “It is shocking that Japan’s current leaders have publicly sent the wrong signal of attempting military intervention in the Taiwan issue, said things they shouldn’t have said and crossed a red line they should not have touched.”
He added that China must “respond resolutely” and called on the international community to “prevent the resurgence of Japanese militarism.”
Participants in Saturday’s protest hit out at what they described as “dangerous” remarks that threaten peace and stability in the region, highlighting the need to preserve Japan’s pacifist constitution.
Okinawa hosts 30 US military facilities covering around 25 per cent of Okinawan land.
Despite pressure, Ms Takaichi has so far refused to back down, but she said that in future she would avoid speaking of “specific scenarios.”
From 35,000 troops in Talisman Sabre war games to HMS Spey provocations in the Taiwan Strait, Labour continues Tory militarisation — all while claiming to uphold ‘one China’ diplomatic agreements from 1972, reports KENNY COYLE



