Skip to main content
Donate to the 95 years appeal
258 million people faced acute food insecurity last year, UN warns
The number of people requiring urgent food aid increased in 2022 for the fourth consecutive year
Nunay Mohamed, 25, who fled the drought-stricken Lower Shabelle area, holds her one-year old malnourished child at a makeshift camp for the displaced on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia on June 30, 2022

MORE than a quarter of a billion people in 58 countries faced acute food insecurity last year due to conflicts, climate change, the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine, according to a report published today.

The Global Report on Food Crises, an alliance of humanitarian organisations founded by the UN and European Union, said people faced starvation and death in seven of those countries: Somalia, Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nigeria, South Sudan and Yemen.

The report found that the number of people facing acute food insecurity and requiring urgent food aid — 258 million — had increased for the fourth consecutive year, a “stinging indictment of humanity’s failure” to implement UN goals to end world hunger, said UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.