Skip to main content
Teenage shot dead by Police in Australia had been in a de-radicalisation programme
This image from a video, shows a parking lot where an incident occurred in Perth, Australia Sunday, May 5, 2024

A TEENAGE boy who was shot dead by police on Sunday after stabbing a man in Perth, Australia, had been in a de-radicalisation programme, authorities said today. 

Western Australia Minister of Police Paul Papalia said the boy had participated in the federally funded Countering Violent Extremism programme for two years, but had no criminal record.

He said: “The challenge we confront with people like the 16-year-old in this incident is that he’s known to hold views that are dangerous and [could] potentially  be radicalised. 

Morning Star call for advertising
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
oldest library
Features / 3 April 2025
3 April 2025
Public libraries are sanctuaries which facilitate the exploration of the universe of ideas for free for those curious enough. ROGER McKENZIE advocates their protection against authoritarian incursions, US style
Similar stories
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese delivers his open
World / 10 October 2024
10 October 2024