Skip to main content
All government files on Dublin and Monaghan bombings should be released, Tanaiste says on anniversary
Ireland's deputy leader Michael Martin says Britain’s controversial Legacy Act created a ‘huge challenge’ for the victims' families to seek justice
President of Ireland Michael D Higgins speaks during a wreath-laying ceremony at the Memorial to the victims of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings on Talbot Street in Dublin, to mark the 50th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. Picture date: Fr

IRELAND’S deputy leader (Tanaiste) said today that all government-held files in connection to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings should be released to inquiries, as he paid tribute to those who died in the blast on its 50th anniversary.

Tanaiste Michael Martin made the pledge as Ireland’s Justice Minister said the anniversary of the atrocity today brought a new determination to find out what happened on May 17 1974.

On that date three no-warning-as bombs went off across Dublin city centre and one exploded in Monaghan town.

Liberation webinar, 30 November2024, 6pm (UK)
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
knee
Features / 13 March 2025
13 March 2025
Ben Cowles previews his interview with Stand Up to Racism’s SABBY DHALU for the Morning Star’s new Youtube channel
Similar stories
Data
Features / 7 January 2025
7 January 2025
Huge new buildings kitted out with powerful computers consumed 21 per cent of the nation’s electricity last year – leading to increased power demands and increased bills. MATT O’BRIEN reports