Skip to main content
Activists renew call for an end to the US blockade against Cuba as the Caribbean nation suffers electricity blackout
Residents pass the time during a blackout following the failure of a major power plant in Havana, Cuba, October 19, 2024

ACTIVISTS renewed calls today for an end to the 64-year-old US blockade of Cuba after the government said that the restricitions were hampering efforts to fix a massive power cut.

About half of the socialist island was plunged into darkness on Thursday evening, followed by all of it the following morning, after a power plant failed.

Havana’s electricity company said in a statement on Saturday that part of its western system had been disconnected “after the exit of one of the plants that was delivering service.”

Morning Star call for advertising
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
More from this author
oldest library
Features / 1 April 2025
1 April 2025
Public libraries are sanctuaries which facilitate the exploration of the universe of ideas for free for those curious enough. ROGER McKENZIE advocates their protection against authoritarian incursions, US style
Similar stories
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez gives a press confere
World / 16 January 2025
16 January 2025
People drive along a road littered with fallen power lines a
World / 11 November 2024
11 November 2024