Skip to main content
Work with the NEU
Britain ‘involved’ in US drone strikes in Yemen
Investigation contradicts government denials

A WAR investigation published yesterday directly implicated the British government in the covert US drone programme in Yemen despite years of denials.

Vice News revealed that British personnel had played a “crucial and sustained role” in the US programme, with officials taking part in so-called “hits,” triangulating intelligence for target lists, preparing “target packages” and participating in a “joint operations room” with US and Yemeni forces.

A former senior CIA official told Vice News that Britain’s role was “pretty critical,” while a former Yemeni foreign minister said the US and Britain had a “blank cheque” to carry out the operations.

The 95th Anniversary Appeal
Support the Morning Star
You have reached the free limit.
Subscribe to continue reading.
Similar stories
Demonstrators from CND and Fairford Action during an emergency protest outside the main gate of RAF Fairford, in Gloucestershire, following an attack on Iran by a US B-1 bomber stationed there earlier this week, July 25, 2026
Iran War / 14 August 2026
14 August 2026

Peace activists and trade unionists to gather at RAF Fairford to protest against US bombers taking off from Britain to strike Iran

An explosion at the Sanaa International Airport compound during what the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen said were several Saudi airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen, July 13, 2026
Middle East / 14 August 2026
14 August 2026
Black smoke rises following explosions near a military base hosting US forces in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil, July 24, 2026
Middle East / 24 July 2026
24 July 2026
A plume of smoke rises after a strike in Tehran, Iran, March 2, 2026
War / 2 March 2026
2 March 2026

Tehran retaliates with attacks on Israel, the Gulf Arab states and crude oil flows